Diesel and petrol prices are hitting all-time highs in India, and the cost of a liter in Mumbai will cross the Rs 100 mark soon. On January 12, 2022, the petrol price in India’s financial capital cost Rs 98.88 a liter. Mileage of fuel efficiency plays a huge role when it comes to buying a car – especially in India. The regular car owner looks for a vehicle that can not only perform daily but can do those jobs efficiently as well. Looking at the demand from Indian buyers, manufacturers in the country consistently produce cars that don’t need to stop at gas stations every few hours. Consequently, manufacturers make the most fuel-efficient cars to meet the demand of Indian customers.
While car owners have seen some respite in petrol rates in recent weeks – with a cut in tax rates by the Centre and some states and prices remaining stable – a price hike in the future cannot be ruled out, given the trend in the last two years. So, in essence, having a fuel-efficient car can help you save that little bit more on your daily journey.
Here we take a look at what are the most fuel-efficient petrol cars currently in the market. Do note that the list is according to the official figures given by manufacturers, and however, actual figures may vary depending on driving styles and conditions.
From the new Ignis to Celerio, Maruti dominates this list of most fuel-efficient cars on sale. Renault, Datsun, and Toyota to make an appearance.
10 Most Fuel-Efficient Cars in India
Maruti Suzuki Dzire AMT
The new Maruti Suzuki Dzire is the perfect blend of premium quality and bold style. It’s an image of your lifestyle, with a touch of class in it. Besides the design changes and extra features that came with last year’s facelift, one of the most significant changes was the 1.2-liter K12N petrol engine replaced with the 1.2-liter K12M petrol tank that comes with a start-stop feature. The Maruti Suzuki Dzire is 7hp, more powerful than the previous model, and more efficient in 5-speed AMT (24.12kpl) and 5-speed manual (23.26kpl) forms, making it one of the most fuel-efficient cars on sale in India.
In addition, Maruti Dzire is available in 6 different colors – Sherwood Brown, Arctic White, Oxford Blue, Phoenix Red, Premium Silver, and Magma Grey.
- The car comes with a multi-function steering wheel, touch screen, and a power-adjustable exterior rearview mirror.
- Also, it allows you to track down your vehicle whenever you want with the GEO-FENCE feature.
- The electronic stability program with hill-hold, anti-locking braking system, and dual airbags ensures your safety at all times.
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios
This car is one of the most fuel-efficient cars in the country; the Hyundai Grand i10 Nios has also been one of India’s most popular cars. Superior mileage and the new specifications are not the only things offered with the Grand i10 Nios. Both the engines are available with either a 5-speed automatic transmission setup or a 5-speed manual. In addition, the 1-liter turbo-petrol engine pushes out 172Nm of torque and 100Ps of power.
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios is available in 7 different colors – Fiery Red, Polar White Dual Tone, Typhoon Silver, Polar White, Titan Grey, Aqua Teal Dual Tone, and Aqua Teal.
- This car comes with EBD and ABS, dual airbags in the front, and parking sensors in the rear for safety.
- Additionally, it includes automatic air conditioning and an 8-inch touchscreen system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto connectivity.
Maruti Celerio AMT
With the launch of the latest model of Celerio, it instantly jumped six places – from 9 to 3 – overtaking the Tata Altroz ARAI Mileage by a comfortable margin. At 24.69kpl, the VXi AMT is the most fuel-efficient Maruti Suzuki Celerio on sale in the market, followed closely by the ZXi+ AMT and ZXi models at 24kpl. The least fuel-efficient variant, the ZXi+ manual at 23.97kpl, is more fuel-efficient than most cars in India.
Maruti was able to achieve this number thanks to the brand new, more efficient DualJet K10 petrol engine and the switch to the company’s latest Heartect platform. In addition, the high-quality petrol engine produces 89Nm and 67hp – down 1Nm and 1hp over the previous model of Celerio – and comes with either an AMT gearbox or 5-speed manual as before.
- The car features a new Engine Push start-stop button and a Smartplay Infotainment system.
- Moreover, it comes with a 17.78cm Smartplay Studio with smartphone navigation.
- Featuring a First-in-Segment Hill Hold Assist, EBD, ABS, and Reverse Parking Sensors to ensure your safety.
Tata is one of the biggest names in the Indian market, with industries spanning from steel to fashion under their name. The Tata Altroz has instantly become one of their most fuel-efficient cars, and there are countless reasons behind it. Powering the Altroz is either a 1.2L Turbo-petrol engine, a 1.2L Naturally-Aspirated petrol engine, or a 1.5L diesel engine.
- The Tata Altroz has one petrol engine and one diesel engine with an engine capacity of 1199 cc and 1497 cc, respectively.
- ABS 9.2 version prevents wheel lock-up during panic braking, therefore maintaining directional stability.
- Timely warnings and voice alerts prevent you from unwanted mishaps and accidents.
Toyota Glanza comes on the fifth spot in the mild-hybrid avatar with an ARAI-rated economy of 23.87kpl. The car includes a powerful but fuel-efficient K-series engine that delivers a superior driving experience with low-end torque and exceptional power. Ultimately, giving you all the delight and performance you need make your plans way more exciting. Its engine produces the power of 90hp. In addition, this card comes with 1.2-liter engines and includes an integrated starter generator and a 12V lithium-ion battery.
- The new Heartect Platform ensures extra rigidity, superior crash resistance, and better NVH.
- Engine push start/stop and intelligent entry.
- Speed-sensing Auto Door Lock.
- Driver Sunvisor with vanity lamp and mirror.
Datsun Redigo AMT
Datsun launched its smallest model last year, and it’s so much better than the previous installment. It is one of the most fuel-efficient cars in India. Besides the comprehensive styling update, the Datsun Redigo got more features, such as 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment for the top-spec T(O) variant and an internal wing mirror adjusted across the range.
- Depending on the fuel type and model, this car has a 20.71 to 22 km/liter mileage.
- Additionally, it has a ground clearance of 187mm.
- It also comes with features like an anti-lock braking system, passenger airbag, front fog lights, front power windows, and automatic climate control.
The new Honda Amaze comes with a 1.2L petrol engine that produces 110Nm of torque and 90hp power. Moreover, there is another option – a 1.5L diesel engine capable of producing 200Nm of torque and 100hp of power. Both the engine can be had with either a 5-speed CVT automatic gearbox or a 5-speed manual transmission. The diesel CVT, however, produces 160Nm of torque with 80hp power.
- The supremely advanced DIGIPAD 2.0 inspires connectivity like no other.
- Use Bluetooth to connect your Android via Android Auto and your iPhone via Apple CarPlay.
- In addition, it consists of a powerful 1.2 liters i-VTEC petrol engine.
Verna is the most powerful sedan in the country right now; however, it still gives excellent mileage. The latest Hyundai Verna runs on a 1.5L petrol engine that produces 144Nm of torque and 115Ps of power. A 1.5L diesel engine option also generates 250Nm of torque and 115Ps power. Also, it quietly finds itself as one of the most fuel-efficient cars in the country.
- It includes features like a tire pressure monitoring system, wireless charging, parking sensors in the front, and a sunroof.
- Verna comes with EBD and ABS, rear parking sensors, and a speed alert for your safety.
Ford Figo AT
There are very few brands in the automobile industry that deserves respect as Ford does. Power and affordability are some of the main reasons for its reputation. Ford Figo AT either runs on a 1.2L petrol engine that is capable of producing 119Nm of torque and 96Ps of power or a 1.5L diesel motor that generates 215Nm of torque and 100Ps of power.
- It comes with features like FordPass, a rearview camera, and a touchscreen with navigation for stress-free driving.
- In addition, the car runs on 96Ps power, a 6-speed automatic transmission, and a 1.2l Ti-VCT engine to give you a smooth ride.
Maruti Suzuki Ignis
Ignis is one of the most fuel-efficient cars in the country right now. The best part of the Maruti Suzuki Ignis is the peppy 83hp, 1.2-litre K12M petrol engine, which provides an ARAI-rated efficiency of 20.89kpl in AMT and automatic manual form.
- The option of Auto Gear Shift in the car ensures that you have a smooth driving experience.
- Additionally, the car’s exterior consists of sturdy skid plates, imposing front grille, roof rails, rear spoiler, 15″ alloy wheels, and body cladding, making it look stunning.
- And the rear parking camera helps in hassle-free parking.
You may also like our article on the Top 10 Sunroof Cars in India in Low Price (2021). Click here to read.